Nov 26, 2008

Twitter is my ADD fix

Last Saturday I decided to go a full 24 hours without any computer interaction. That means, not touching a computer, keyboard or smartphone. Why, you ask, would I willingly disconnect from half of my life - well, because the other half was begging for more attention. I had the guilt of my 8 year old standing near me trying to chat while I typed away and looked empty eyed (or zombie-eyed) at the screen. My neck & shoulders were achy and I wasn't hitting my daily activity goal. So, one day of real life and fresh air it is....

What was the first area I missed right off the bat? Well, it was checking in on the twitterverse to see what everyone was up to. What new questions, answers, sites, fashion, or funny topics were posted and would make me laugh. I then wondered why these things are so important to me when I have a physical life that can be equally interesting. Not so jet-set, but equal in adventures and humour. So I moved on with my day. I next realized I was holding back from running to the computer to find things - what hour did the gym close, when was open swim for B, a new place to eat, any meetups 2night? Searching for something through a paper phone book seems so old school (and not in a good way).

Watching my hubby tap away on the computer and sit on twitter did not help at all. Then again, any time I diet he brings home soda, ice cream, cake, Cheetos and any other crap because he can eat them. He says he doesn't do it to ruin my diet, but I believe he just doesn't "think" about anything past himself. Not nice, but true.

One sad thing I did notice, every time the SteepNCheap gong went off and echoed through the house, I found myself getting up to walk to the computer to check out the deal. I wasn't aware I was so well trained like a dog - I'll have to work on that one (so sad).

I kept myself busy running around with my daughter and then my 8 year old. We had a great day talking to each other and exploring new adventures. At night, we ate in the dining room with the kitchen door closed. We played ugly doll (card game) and snuggled up in my bed and read a book (no TV).

I think it was a great idea to disconnect as it really showed me where my dependencies are. I don't think it's a bad thing for me to be connected, I just need to know when to step away and join my physical universe. My teenagers during this time did the same activities they always do. there was no rush to include me in their daily events, so there's no guilt there. For my 8 year old, I'll do a better job to connect when he's home and take walks at night so he can tell me all about his day and watch the stars. Things we used to do every day, before work and my curiosity got the best of me.

Interestly, @balibones posted a tweet asking if anyone went a full day disconnected. I responded that I had the previous Sat. Here was his response: "balibones @simchabe - Congratulations you're the only one! The rest of us are doomed. You're replying so I take it the world didn't end? from web in reply to simchabe " I explained the world didn't end and I planned on doing it again, but next time, I'm going to document every time I think I need to connect as I'd love to see the pattern of interest.

Analysis of outcome - Fabulous. Will Do Again A++

No comments: